LOCAL FAMILY HISTORY FILES for: Sanderson, Chapple, Galloway/Burchill/Lally, Andrews, Miller.
A Focus on FACTORY STREET POMONA - Heritage Information 2019 *Page Furnishers- 1919-2019 This business is located on the original site chosen by Herbert Page who started a Cabinet Making business in 1919 and has been continuously owned and operated by the Page Family for 100 years. Currently managed and operated by third and fourth generations of the Page Family, Page Furnishers have earned a reputation for providing quality products in a timely and professional manner. The existing buildings were erected after fire destroyed the original buildings in 1971. In 1974 George Page purchased the Historical Butter Factory (Est. 1919) after it ceased business in 1970, to allow for extensions of the factory. An unprecedented rain event in February 2012 saw over 300mm of rainfall in Pomona over a short period of time resulting in water inundation to the timber workshop. With wonderful community support Page Furnishers were able to be back to 80% operating capacity within two weeks and at full capacity shortly after.
*Noosa Shire Museum- in former Noosa Shire Council Chambers . 1911 was the year that Noosa Shire Council's Chambers were opened at 29 Factory Street. The building remained the Council's Chambers until 1980 when demographic changes and crowded staff accommodation forced the move to Pelican Street, Tewantin. Before they left many of the staff signed the door of the strong room. These signatures remain in the museum. In 1982 an agreement was reached between the Noosa Council and the Cooroora Historical Society allowing them the use of the building to store objects, literature and artifacts. Then in 1985 the Noosa Council agreed to the formation of a museum which opened on 27th April 1985.
*Uniting Church Pomona-The Methodist Church was erected in 1921 by D.McConnell and Frank Bale who had come to town in 1896 as part of the Protestant Unity Group. The church was free of debt by 1922 . The former Kareewa Church was added to the back in 1925 for use as a hall. Vic Depper was paid three pounds for bringing it from Kareewa. Two benzene lamps were first used for lighting then the Ladies Guild installed electric lights in the hall in 1942, soon after power came to town. Early ministers were Rev Grayson, Joseph Brooks, Rev Lawson, Basil Blake, Brian Gilmour. The pulpit was made and donated by Messrs Page and Scope, and the seats were made and donated by David McConnell. At one stage Joe Bazzo, who was not a professional painter, was employed to paint the outside of the building. The Presbyterian congregation merged with the Methodists in 1962 and it became the Uniting Church on 22nd June 1977. Sunday School used to be held at 2.30pm and the main service was held in the evening.
*The Orange Cafe- William Jory had a Shop and Cafe here from 1916 till 1935 before his wife moved to Goondiwindi Qld. He called it the Cooroora Cafe. Mrs Jory had a big boiler and cooked her own hams and used this to make pies and sandwiches. They sold fruit, sweets and home made icecream. There was a separate small building at the back with a vat used to make icecream. The original slat bed from the residence behind the shop is now in the bedroom display at the museum.
*Pomona Ag.Supplies Pty.Ltd- On the site of a Blasksmithing business commenced beginning of 1926, Blacksmith is Thomas Arthur SANDERSON it is next to the Methodist Church in Factory Street, Pomona. Thomas is the son of William Sanderson a veteran Blacksmith of Gympie, Pomona and Cooran. Thomas had a tip truck he built in which the mechanism for tipping was special and the first built in the Noosa Shire.
*Caltex Driveway- When Bob Page returned from World War ii, he decided to build a garage at 19 Factory Street, using ideas he gathered from American servicemen he had worked with in the Army. Instead of having petrol bowsers on the footpath, as was customary before the war, he designed a building set back forty feet from the street. The driveway concept was new for Pomona at the time and convenient for motorists as traffic increased along Factory Street. Bob had also seen the value of having high walls in the buildings, to allow in light and air. This business became Page Motors.
Four images above from May 2018 Noosa Museum Heritage Day