Before white settlement Guran was home to the Gubbi Gubbi people. The name means ‘high up or tall” and is their word for Moretan Bay Ash Tree. The Cooran area was first settled in the l860s by timber getters. With the discovery of gold in Gympie, a road was made from Gympie to the port at Tewantin as alternative to shipping to the established settlement at Maryborough. From 1874 Casey’s (later Martin’s) Halfway House & Stables catered to the coach services, with selectors taking up land to farm along the new road. Rail from Maryborough to Gympie in 1881 and subsequent rail construction from Halfway House to Gympie completed in 1889 brought continued expansion and development. The school opened in 1890 and by the 1930s, Cooran was a thriving commercial centre boasting two man police station (& jail), two hotels, large sawmill, joinery, blacksmiths, bakery, butcher, bootmaker, 3 churches , various stores, auctioneers and stock agents. Until 1909 Cooran was part of the Widgee Shire when the move was made to form the new shire of Noosa. The first shire meetings were held in the Cooran Hall. In 1910 as a result of a ratepayers referendum Pomona was chosen as the Administrative centre of the Shire ahead of Cooran and Cooroy.
These photos are from the early 20th century. Click on thumbnail to enlarge the photo. If you'd like to see more historical photos of the area please come see us at the museum. All photos are available for purchase.